the gameplay of dys4ia is incredibly simple, but dys4ia tells a really really really personal story, particularly for a flash game. obviously i’m biased, but anna anthropy touches on things with dys4ia that i would struggle to discuss, even with close friends.
at one point, i stopped playing right in the middle of one of the final ‘mini-games’ of dys4ia to watch the sun set and reflect on what some of it meant to me personally. imo, it’s probably some of the most strangely “honest” media depicting transition i have personally experienced.
that said, the game isn’t like, a perfect masterpiece. but it’s VERY COOL IMO idk i am extremely biased just ignore me k wutever. here is what anna had to say on the night she released dys4ia
dys4ia is the story of the last six months of my life: when i made the decision to start hormone replacement therapy and began taking estrogen. i wanted to catalog all the frustrations of the experience and maybe create an “it gets better” for other trans women. when i started working on the game, though, i didn’t know whether it did get better. i was in the middle of the shit detailed in level 3 of the game, and at the time i had no idea what the ending would be; it was hard to envision a happy ending.
this was amazing. there’s also a great interview with anna anthropy at prettyqueer.com at the moment
1. Don’t play this if you’re not ready to cry for about 10 minutes afterwards.
1.5 stuck on level 1 for five months ugh I hate doctors, I hate them, I HATE them.
omg playing this right now. This is amazing
AHHHH everyone play Anna’s game.
My friend Dan showed me this a few months ago. Super amazing.
- Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog - Frequently Answered Questions
- Feminist Literature (Tumblr)
- Feminist texts written by women of color (Tumblr)
- fuckyeahfeminists (Tumblr)
- grrrlpower (Tumblr)
Racism, Race, & Culture
- Institutional/Structural Racism Within a Context: A Historical Glimpse at the Concept of “Race”
- Definitions - Racism Free Ontario Initiative
- Different Forms of Racism
- What is a Microaggression? What are Racial Microagressions?
- Appropriation vs. Appreciation
- A Look at the Myth of Reverse Racism
- Who are People of Colour? Why can’t I use the term “coloured”?
- Colourblindness: Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism
- The Angry Eye (YouTube)
- Racialicious (Tumblr)
- ladyatheist (Tumblr)
Sizeism & Body Positivity
- Truth Behind Fat: References
- Obesity, Health, and Metabolic Fitness
- Don’t You Realize Fat Is Unhealthy?
- Diets Don’t Work, But…
- Reality vs. Relativism
- THE HAES MANIFESTO (pdf)
- Fat Acceptance FAQ
- redefiningbodyimage (Tumblr)
GSM (Gender & Sexuality Minorities)
- Project Queer (Tumblr)
- Trans* Awareness (Tumblr)
- Trans Etiquette 101: No Offense, But That’s Offensive (Tumblr)
- Cissexism, Transphobia, & Cissupremacy. (Tumblr)
- So what’s a genderqueer, eh? (Tumblr)
- Gender Neutral Pronoun Blog
- The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino
- Ableist Word Profile
- Don’t Support Autism Speaks
- I’m Autistic, But Autism Speaks Doesn’t Speak for Me.
- An Autistic Speaks About Autism Speaks
- Why I am against Autism Speaks (Tumblr)
- Checking Your Privilege 101 (pdf)
- Male privilege checklist (pdf)
- White Privilege Checklist (pdf)
- Binary-Gender Privilege Checklist
- Cis Privilege Checklist
- Heterosexual privilege checklist (pdf)
- Checklist of Neurotypical Privilege
- Christian Privilege Checklist
- Christian Privileges in American Society: Hidden Ways Christians are Privileged
- Privilege even in veganism
- Vegan Privilege
The above article is an update. Her mother went to appeal to keep her out of the psychiatric ward and lost. She will be institutionalized because of her expression of her gender. She will be held until she conforms to male gender and then released to foster care, not her mother who was supporting her.
Please, if you haven’t signed the petition, sign it, reblog it, ask your friends to sign it. We’ve managed to get 40K signatures for a pageant model, we’ve only gotten 11K for a little girl about to have her life ruined. Lets get on the ball and spread the word.
I literally just repeated the f-word until I ran out of breath.
Let me catch my breath. I may go on a cursing spree again as soon as I get it back.
WHY THE FUCK AREN’T PEOPLE REBLOGGING THIS??
Sign this and pass it to whoever you can. No exceptions.
Something in my heart just broke.
Sign it. This is really important.
Argentina JUST PASSED a groundbreaking gender identity bill!!!
From now on, people will be able to change the name and gender on their ID without needing psychiatric permission or any body modifications. Furthermore, anyone who does want hormones or surgery will be able to access them for free through the public and private health system.
It was passed unanimously today by the Senate :-D
(twenty trans women who were killed by hate crimes.)
All are women of color, I believe.
Great graphic. I wish there were names attached so I could learn more about the women it features.
yr wish is my command, friend!
the women pictured here are, row by row:
bella evangelista, agnes torres sulca, amanda gonzalez andujar, chanelle pickett, angie zapata
emonie spaulding, deoni jones, duanna johnson, myra chanel ical, gwen araujo
rita hester, sanesha stewart, paige clay, ruby ordeñana, robyn browne
stacey blahnik lee, taysia elzy, victoria carmen white, venus xtravaganza, and tyli mack.
Reblobbing again for the list of names